Last week I was prompted to respond to a fabulous blog written by the wonderful Laura Robinson, entitled “Why is writing so much harder than speaking?” Of course I work with a lot of people to build up their skill set, experience and confidence to ensure they find speaking ‘easier’, so this blog title was intriguing.
As a result Laura invited me to be interviewed for a video, on tips for speaking. And in particular, speaking on a ‘Facebook Live’. Here is the video interview.
In the interview I shared some great tips for preparing yourself before a Facebook Live; the actual video and afterwards. Here are five tips:
- Prepare what you are going to say. Don’t just think of a topic but what the main points are.
- Consider a great introduction to grab the attention of the audience.
- Plan a good ‘call to action’ or ending
- Practice what you are going to say, either in front of a mirror or video yourself on your phone and critique
- Check what is going on in the background before you start speaking and videoing.
There are loads more tips, so watch the video!
Speaking, like writing is a fabulous way to communicate. With writing you can edit before you send something out, but with speaking, if you are in free flow, it isn’t possible to edit – unless you have planned before. We all know people who we wish had ‘edited’ what they were going to say when hogging the time in a meeting. The best people have planned the topics they wish to talk about; adding focus and clarity to their message. A great tip!